Boozy Salted Caramel Holiday Eggnog Recipe
( From Scratch!)
I’m not one for girly or sweet drinks. There’s just something about food or drinks that are too sweet that turn me off. But, I was determined on having a holiday eggnog recipe for the blog this year. I already did a rosé holiday cocktail recipe last year and needed to try something new. Holiday egg nog is one of the most festive drinks I could think of.
Of course, I’m the test subject. So mama had to make something that my taste buds would love but still fit the traditional holiday eggnog taste. When I tell you, I fell in love with this recipe. I’m not joking! It’s all thanks to the Crown Royal Salted Caramel.
Keep reading to learn about my new fav holiday drink and how it all came together!
RELATED READING: Glam & Sexy Holiday Party Dress Ideas
My husband has been a huge fan of Crown Royal since before I even met him. Slowly but surely, his love of Crown Royal has rubbed off on me. TMI: I’m pretty sure we started our family off of Crown Royal Apple LOL! But seriously, I know for certain that it has been a staple in our house. The Crown Royal Peach was a serious favorite of ours early this summer. I’m talking buying multiples at a time just because we knew it was going to be sold out fast. Yeah, that serious! LOL!
My husband had to go off to school for work during the Fall. Crown Royal released a salted caramel flavor while he was gone. I thought, “hmmm…. this would be a cute little surprise for him when he comes back”. He collects the Crown Royal bags the bottles come in and he didn’t have this flavor. I tasted the Crown Royal Salted Caramel when he came back and knew immediately I needed to do a drink for the blog. Salted caramel goes perfect with the traditional flavors of eggnog. Hence, the birth of A Pop of Life’s new boozy salted caramel holiday eggnog!
RELATED READING: Tips To Avoid Holiday Weight Gain From A SAHM
What You’ll Need
2 Cups — whole milk
1 Cup — heavy whipping cream
2 — long cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp– nutmeg
pinch of salt
4 — egg yolks
1/2 cup — sugar
2 cups — Crown Royal Salted Caramel
1 cup — Irish cream which contains alcohol. (This is optional if you don’t want your holiday eggnog to be as boozy )
RELATED READING: Holiday Family Photo Shoot With Portrait Innovations
- Stir all the non-boozy ingredients into a saucepan or pot over medium heat. ( Set the eggs and sugar aside though). You’ll be starting off with the heavy whipping cream, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a semi-large bowl, add the four eggs and the sugar. Use a mixer to beat the eggs until it is light and creamy.
- Add your egg mix into the saucepan bit by bit. Whisk the mixture while doing so. You’ll continue adding and whisking until you’ve fully combined both mixtures.
- If it’s not at your desired thickness when combined, continue whisking.
- Turn off the heat when you reach the desired thickness. Personally, I over whisked for my personal taste so I’ll leave it up to you guys to decide when you’ll want to stop.
- It’s time for the fun part. Add the liquor to the mix. If you don’t want it to be too boozy, skip on adding the Irish cream.
- Stir, stir, stir.
- Pour your awesome new boozy holiday eggnog into a pitcher to cool. Place it in the refrigerator for at least three hours. Feel free to make it last overnight if time permits.
- Take out the refrigerator once cooled, pour into a glass and garnish with some cinnamon sticks.
FYI: This recipe was inspired by The Crumby Kitchen’s Eggnog recipe. I came across it on Pinterest and used it as a guideline to come up with my own take on it. If you’re looking for the original or want someone who knows way more about eggnog than I do, check out their recipe here!
RELATED READING: 4 Budget-Friendly Holiday Looks for the Stylish Mom
Making the holiday eggnog from scratch leaves some wiggle room with how long it should last. I wouldn’t let the eggnog last more than a few days tops. With the milk and egg ingredients, I’m just always scared that it could go bad and no one would know. Don’t let my crazy paranoia of getting food poisoning scare you though. Do the research and decide what you think is best for you!
PIN IT FOR LATER:
“Boozy Salted Caramel Holiday Eggnog” Recap
I loved this recipe and holiday eggnog soooo much that I couldn’t miss sharing this with you guys before Christmas. Between packing our home up, driving across the country, getting a new place, and prepping for the holidays, I’ve been SUPER behing with the blog content. But, I created this for you guys last month and didn’t want to miss my chance of sharing it with you. So, take this as a Christmas gift from A Pop of Life. Who doesn’t love a good cocktail for the holidays?! 🙂 If you actually try this out, please let me know how it comes out. Comment below with your experiences and fav cocktail recipes for the holiday season